Thursday 24 September 2015

fbanner

Today for RABlogWeek the prompt is "Five Things I have Learned"; this is specifically meant to be about things I have discovered in this journey of coping with and living with chronic illness.  There are so many things that to limit it to just FIVE is....well, difficult to say the least.  But I will try to narrow it down...here is what I have observed:

1. Very few people who do not have chronic pain, actually GET IT.  Many friends mean well, and try to provide unsolicited advice about what remedy they have tried...or their grandmother has tried to "cure arthritis and Fibromyalgia"; that information is usually total CRAP.  So, I have no learned NOT to take things so personally when, at the beginning of this journey....nothing seemed to "fix me".  There is no quick fix, no magic remedy or spell or treatment, but a mixture of things you need to explore when trying to treat and cope with chronic illness.

2. When you are proscribed "Pain Management Classes" ; take them....with a grain of salt.  Again, the information is usually common sense; but very rarely has any prescription for how to "Beat" chronic pain.  Enjoy them for what they are, as I did, but I knew every bit of information in those classes well before I even went there, but I did learn that I wasn't alone in my pain. So that proved beneficial.

3.  I have learned that having chronic illness means you will likely mourn the person you once were.  And that is ok, and logical.  Grief can come in waves and leave your feeling frozen in time.  But, if you have support, you will be able to find your way out to the other side of it.  Ride the waves ...and you will be ok.

4. I have learned to enjoy the simple pleasures of life.  I try to find something that makes me smile and or laugh each and every day because it is critical to remind myself not to take life so seriously.

5.  I have learned to appreciate and accept more help from my husband.  Once considered fiercely independent, I would refuse help of any kind....I could always do "Better" and rely on nobody.  But that is no longer the case...I NEED help ...and I now have no reservations asking for it.  That is one of the best things I have learned in this process.  It also makes my husband feel less powerless when he sees me struggle with my pain.

I wonder who else can relate??

No comments:

Post a Comment