Wednesday 23 September 2015

RABlogbadge

Today's prompt for #RABlogWeek is "describe your RA".  This will be easy for me....I do not have RA, but I have a very similar form of arthritis.  It is called Ankylosing Spondylitis.

The above lovely infographic nicely encapsulates what life with A.S. is like.  Here is a more succinct definition about the disease :
Succinct-Mayo-Clini-Information  Therefore, if I were to try and explain what A.S. is, I may refer to these pieces of information to someone newly diagnosed....and then, would qualify it with some of my own observations.
1. When every site claims that "most patients improve with exercise and lead normal, fulfilling lives", that may be true for a good portion of patients...but EVERY ONE of us is UNIQUE.  And in my case, the pain has been debilitating and required that I take a short term disability leave from work.  So....NEVER EVER take what every doctor claims to be true about A.S. to be carved in stone.
2.  A.S. DOES affect more than JUST your Spine!! and no...you do NOT need to have any signs of fusion on your X- ray to feel a LOT of pain all over your body.  The S.I. pain CAN and WILL radiate to every other joint in your body and especially can impact your hips, knees, ankles, feet and hands.  Never allow a doctor to imply that you cannot feel pain elsewhere and to investigate further!!
3.  It is more than just "typical back pain"; it is ....unending, that waxes and wanes in intensity.....but never stops.
4.  A.S. is progressive....but it doesn't mean you will completely fuse...but, it MAY mean that, like me, you may need to use a cane, walker/rollator and or wheelchair to get around.  It all depends on how badly you find your body reacting to any of the following triggers: heat, cold, stress, food allergies, stress....lol so don't be shocked that you may find yourself in this place.  Use those mobility aids to help make life better.
5.  You are not alone...there are lots of support groups online, find one, chat with others...they oftentimes replace some of your "Good friends" who said they would "be there if you needed them" and then just don't manage to show up.
6. Find a rheumatologist that you like and likes you...go to each appointment armed with information.  Be diplomatic in your approach, but firm.  If you find that you don't quite "jive" with your doctor, find another.  You will need to be in contact with this doctor for a long time....make the choice that works for you.
7. Explore alternative therapies....such as massage therapy, chiropractic care, physio therapy, accupuncture, whatever may float your boat.  No one treatment works for everyone....it can be frustrating to find that right mix of what works and what doesn't, but explore all options!!

Here are some therapies that I am doing....with varied levels of success.

1. Chiropractic care: 2 times a week; for electro accupuncture, ultrasound work and stretching. I find this generally good...as it helps me stay mobile.....but, often feel like I am back to my usual pain laden self, within a day afterwards...:-(
2. Massage Therapy:  is a new kind of deep tissue pain...helps to release trigger points...but also leaves me bruised.
3.  Physio therapy: allows me to get a nice foot rub from a lovely physio therapy trainee....doesn't do much to quell the pain...but I try.
4. Aqua Fit: awkward exercise in a public pool...amongst lovely retired folk, and pool noodles...but..I feel weightless for an hour 2 times a week...and that..is awesome.
5. I wear a "wearable technology" for pain that I get from my plantar faciitis; it is called Quell.  It is a portable TENS unit I wear on one leg...it feels nice enough...reduces pain in my feet from a 10 to about a 7...so that is good. Details here:Quell
6. I have tried medical marijuanna; I have a medical prescription.....lets just say that a) all marijuanna tastes awful (to me) and that b) so far, does nothing for me....however I know I am told I need to find the "right strain".....not sure where one finds that lol. Anyone?
7. Biologics: I am on my THIRD biologic; was allergic to Simponi, and Enbrel....and now, I am trying Humira....have only tried one injection and had a GREAT two days of the 2 week stretch..hopeful that today's injection helps........dunno...
8. Pain meds:  none...and I mean 17 have not even TOUCHED my pain...so...I am not on any at this time. I have even tried oxycontin, and hydrocodone....
10. sleep...this...I love lol
11. I have joined Weight Watchers online....have found it relatively easy to follow....but DAMN if it takes FOREVER to lose any weight....doesn't help that I have Hypothyroidism...
12. I wear a Fitbit...I had to modify the steps allotment to 3,000 as there is no way in hell I will cover 10,000 steps a day..not do able. I just HATE that I earn NO "activity" steps as that requires my heart rate to hit a certain level....but hey...the mere fact that I am MOVING should count for something lol!!

I keep trying to find what will make my pain manageable so that I can return to teaching High School Music and Drama. (which require oodles of energy); until then....I research...and do what I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment